Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Thoughts from the First Few Weeks

I've heard the term 'combat walking' used to describe life in Hong Kong.  And it perfectly describes the street scene and can be applied to any number of other activities, like grocery shopping, getting on and off the mtr (the subway), and taking pictures at tourist sites.  It is not that people are trying to be rude to you by bumping into you constantly, it's just that they can not be bothered to change their own paths when presented with an obstacle ahead (you being that obstacle).  You might find yourself in a street that has venders on each side, making only a narrow passageway in-between the venders that can only be comfortably navigated by walking single file.  Don't surprise yourself when you see 3 or 4 people trying to move in the same spot at the same time, and none of them notice.

There are many experiences in Hong Kong that most Americans might pause to question, like a shirtless, smoking man working at a wet market (I walk by this man daily).  A wet market is an open air market, often standing in front of or a part of a storefront, that sells fresh, raw meat or fish.  When I say meat, I mean they bring in the entire pig and butcher it on site.  Throughout the day customers come by and ask for various hunks of meat that are placed in plastic bags by the shirtless, smoking man.  True Story. 

Cooked food options are limitless and generally delicious.  Although I have not ventured deep into the unrecognizable food groups, I am working my way up to it.  I have tried Chinese herbal tea and an not a fan.  I have also eaten more ramen in the past few weeks than I have since college.  Every restaurant serves either hot tea or plain hot water with every meal.  I'm talking days where there's 98% humidity and they're all drinking hot tea like it's below freezing outside.  Some think drinking something cold will make them more vulnerable to sickness and I'm over here thinking these hot teas are going to make me have a heat stroke.  As a southerner, iced tea is its own food group for me.  Although I have successfully ordered iced tea, it is sometimes served with a side of milk, already poured in it.  Although I have had hot tea with milk, this was my first time trying milk iced tea.  It doesn't hit the spot quite like plain, old iced tea, but it will do in a pinch.

I haven't started leaning Cantonese, but many Hong Kongers speak English.  Sometimes it is a little hard trying to understand what they are saying, but since they are trying to communicate with me in English, I will do my hardest to make an educated guess.  I do feel bad any time my last name is brought up, no one (not even me) can handle it.  My husband should have taken my last name when we got married, or we should have made up a new one when we found out we were moving here.  I think it would have been the nice thing to do...

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment