Sunday, August 2, 2015

Things I miss about America

We've been here for about 6 weeks, which is not a particularly long time.  However, knowing that I won't be back in the States until March has heightened some of the homesickness I feel.  These things are common in the United States, but keep me up at night here.

Full sized refrigerator.  We have a decent sized kitchen, however, our fridge is the same size as one found in a dorm room.  My toddler-sized fridge has enough room for some soy sauce, a few bottles of water and tea, and a lone lemon.

Ice.  I think this might be a southern United States obsession.  I went to New York last summer and was upset by the "iced" tea they served.  I need my glass to be filled to the brim with ice, it doesn't matter if that makes me have to refill it 20 times.  Ice is a hot commodity (pun intended) in Hong Kong.  I have noticed that most bars and restaurants get ice delivered to them throughout the day, so I assume ice machines are not common, even for restaurants and bars.  My toddler-sized fridge does have a "freezer space," but you could basically put one ice cube tray in it.  One ice cube tray worth of ice is basically a slap in the face to me and my needs.  I would like Sonic to open up a Hong Kong location, and please bring an ice maker.

Sandwiches.  This one surprised me.  I would never describe myself as sandwich obsessed, but I have been dreaming about them lately.  Sandwich bread can be found at the grocery store, but it's not quite the same, and cheese, in any form, is limited at best.  I have found a few sandwich shops that have helped ease my pain.

Walk-in closets.  Enough said.

Having said that, here is something I don't miss.  Driving, I do not miss driving at all.  The subway system in Hong Kong is one of the best in the world.  It's safe, clean, and quick.  You're not supposed to eat or drink in the stations or on the trains, and shockingly, people follow the rules.  Of course you can't have a fear of strangers invading your personal space while on the train, because they will be all up in your business during rush hour.  I have yet to see subway employees in white gloves shoving people into the trains (like they do in Japan), but I have seen employees pulling people off the trains when the doors of the train try to close on them.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Rose for keeping a blog. It's great learning about living in Hong Kong . Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete