Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Shop Till You Drop

The use of English words in advertising and store names is common here.  Sometimes it makes sense, sometimes not.  I've also seen some interesting pieces of clothing with English words or phrases that don't quite translate (or don't make sense to me).  One time I saw a girl wearing a shirt with the word "Butter" on it.  I might think it's strange that someone is willing to wear a shirt with the word "butter" on it, but I'm also sure there are plenty of people walking around with odd Chinese character tattoos.  There's got to be more than one American showing off their sweet new ink, telling everyone it means "Lucky," until they run into someone who can read Chinese characters and find out it really means "monkey face," or something equally unfortunate.  But, back to the odd use of English words.

Here's the First Edition of Odd Store Names:

First up, a store named Salad.  The store offers leather purses and wallets and a small selection of clothing.  I've seen lots of people walking around with Salad purses, so I guess the store is popular.

 
 
Next, a store named Homeless.  There are several locations throughout Hong Kong.  It is a home goods store with lots of unique and cute things.
 

 
 
Red Bean Dessert might not be a strange name for a restaurant, but I wanted to talk about a popular dessert made out of (you guessed it) red beans.  It's some sort of custard mixed with mashed red beans.  There are several other types of desserts made with beans, but so far I've only tried this one (and it was pretty good).
 
 
 
Not pictured is a clothing store called Oops!  I saw it during my trip in May, but haven't gone inside to see what the clothes are like.
 
 
Signing off with something you might not seen everyday, my dinner (a roasted pigeon).
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment